I take it that the highest proof of Christ’s power is not that He offers salvation, not that He bids you take it if you will, but that when you reject it, when you hate it, when you despise it, He has a power whereby he can change your mind, make you think differently from your former thoughts, and turn you from the error of your ways.
C.H. Spurgeon
C.H. Spurgeon
I was reading the first chapter of Joshua this week, possibly one of my favorite chapters in all the Bible. Joshua, a man chosen not for his great power, position, or possessions, but rather a trustworthy man with a heart for his God, stands at the grave of Moses. Forty years has shown him the results of disobedience brought on by worry and mistrust. The words from God speak over and over, "Be strong and courageous...do not fear." And I wonder if Joshua was focused and ready or if he was shaking in his shoes.
You know, weather buffs will tell you that before the most destructive tornados there is calm.
Looking back, I know that there were times of calm just before the great storms in my life. Moments when, if asked, I could genuinely say I was resting from general worries and concerns that so easily crowd in. And when the storm hit, with all its force and fury, I was better prepared to handle the onslaught because God had strengthened my armor with the reassurance of his presence.
We also know that while a hurricane can shred hundreds of miles at a time there is stillness at the center. It's because of a little thing called centrifugal force. When something is spinning, all the power and force distributes to the outer areas. In a hurricane that means all winds, rain and storm clouds are pulled away from the center. And in the eye of the storm there is calm. Is this what it means to "be still and know that I am God"? It is easy to acknowledge his lordship when everything else lies in stillness around you. But when life is spinning like crazy and slipping out of your grasp you can't imagine pausing for even a moment to be still.
I wonder what Joshua felt that day--the grave of a great leader in front of him and a nation of grumbling followers behind him. Just guessing here, but I believe God told Joshua to be strong and have courage because Joshua was more scared than he'd ever been in his life, and God promised to be with him wherever he would go because Joshua felt alone. Here was Joshua's calm, his center, his moment to be still. He put his feelings aside, anchored in to the one who could keep him secure and, with his eyes fixed on God, followed his leader into the heart of the storm. May God grant me the strength and courage to do the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment